i have just started doing some clerical work for my CPA neighbor. this will replace watching baby charlotte in my house, and i'm extremely thankful for the opportunity.
today, she told me about a blog that she reads daily, called dooce.com.
the blogger had a regular hospital birth with her first child and a natural birth in a hospital with her 2nd child. she was one who thought non-epidural births were crazy (like most people do).
anyway, i thought i would share it with you. it's hilarious, though the language is not my own. it's in 3 blogs, the first one about how she came to learn about natural birth, the 2nd is kind of long..you can skip the first 1/2 or so, as it's more about her friend's natural birth, which opened her eyes to the idea.
but the 3rd post is very good. it's her birth story, i was laughing out loud and i had tears in my eyes.
i'm such a total believer in natural birth. i simply believe that our bodies were created to be able to birth a child, and after going through the hard work of doing so, it's such an amazing, empowering, spiritual and bonding reward...i can't even explain it. when i read others' birth stories, it makes me want to get pregnant and give birth again..to do the experience again. to hold a tiny baby in my arms again while nursing and experience that euphoria that comes from new motherhood. however, i'm not interested in raising two children, so i'll just have to live in the memories of alena's birth. sometimes i think i could train to be a doula, though i think myself somehow unqualified, having only birthed one child.
however you choose to birth, please take the 9 months of pregnancy and educate yourself about the amazing process your body is going through in growing a child and the amazing transformation you and your child's body goes through during birth. however your birth goes, you will be better for being in control and educated about one of the most important things you'll ever do in your life.
ok, enough. here's the links:
http://www.dooce.com/2009/07/13/labor-story-part-one
http://www.dooce.com/2009/07/27/labor-story-part-two
http://www.dooce.com/2009/08/04/labor-story-part-three
Wednesday, September 16, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I read Dooce sometimes, too. She also has a book called "It Sucked and I Cried." Good read, minus the language! Phew-that girl has rebelled against her Mormom upbringing-huh?
ReplyDeleteI thought I would chime in for those of us who have chosen hospital births with an epidural. I chose to listen to my body, and when my body told me it couldn't handle any more, I chose the epidural. I did what was best for me and for my baby.
ReplyDeleteI wanted you to know that the "drug that numbs the pain" in no way numbed my experience or my joy as I welcomed my precious one into the world. I worked just as hard as any one else to give birth- I knew when each contraction came and I pushed hard with each of them. I chose the epidural so I could focus on the joy, anticipation, and excitement of the moment instead of the pain. When they handed Caleb to me I felt the same empowering, spiritual connection with him that you did with Alena. I wasn't zoned out or 1/2 with it like you may think. And I am certainly not disappointed in myself or my choice. I had the most amazing birth experience, and I would not change it for the world.
I know we will never agree on this, but I would hope that you give us "hospital birth-ers" the same repect we give you "home birth-ers". Giving birth to a child is a tough job no matter how you do it! :)
i hear you, kimberly. and i'm never out to judge another's choice (though it may sound like it sometimes.) i heard what you were saying as you went through your pregnancy and labor, and i know you weren't they kind to say "skip the 'experience' just knock me out and give me my kid" um..you birthed 9lb 14oz without a c-section, that counts, lol! what i'm really shouting about is women who don't even want to think about the pregnancy/birth experience. who are more worried about looking good than what's best for their baby. that is not you. we had different birth experiences, but i believe our philosophies are pretty similar on this issue. love you!!
ReplyDeletedooce makes me laugh. love her on the momversations. check out girls gone child by rebecca wolf who is also on there.
ReplyDeletei am definatly not against home births myself. my sister had 2 at home after having 2 c sections. i feel everyone has a right to choose.
i choose not to even though i grew up around EVERYONE i knew having home births. i am really thankful for my decision. in my birth (via "planned" emergency c section) euphoria was still completly present and amazing. i think bonding will happen no matter when and how you have a birth. i didnt get to hold sia for a couple hours and when i did she turned blue. i didnt get to nurse for a couple days and ending up not getting to really hold her for 2 more days. we still bonded amazingly
even after having a risky ending to my pregnancy, breech, having major fluid problems and a premmie baby. i do not regret having a planned c section. although not ideal, i accepted it. my daughter may have died had i tried at home and i am very thankful for my birth experience. i would choose to have another c section.
ps. to make your links so people can get a direct connection....
ReplyDelete1. go to edit post
2. highlight your link
3. go up to your font change area
4. click on the little button that looks like a world.
5. paste web address into the box.
6. highlight again of you want change link color.